Author Topic: Tactical: Papa's got a brand new .44 Magnum  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Leviathan

• Cybernetic Grunt
  • Apathy or Indifference? Who knows; who cares?
    • View Profile
Tactical: Papa's got a brand new .44 Magnum
« on: July 13, 2010, 03:40:27 AM »
Taurus Raging Bull .44 Mag, Stainless, 6.5" Barrel.

First time out with it I hit a 16oz Coke bottle with it at 50 yards.  You should have seen how the water sprayed!  :-]

Levi
My level of respect for a person is determined by how much they are willing to endure for what they believe in.

Offline Leviathan

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: Tactical: Papa's got a brand new .44 Magnum
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 12:52:44 AM »
Just in case Drew was wondering, I am firing an Elmer Keith load.  New Starline brass, Federal large pistol magnum primers, 11.6gr of Alliant Herco powder, topped off with a 240gr jacketed Winchester hollowpoint.  It's not even close to the SAAMI established pressure limits but it is nothing to scoff at either.  It's about as powerful as anything most people even consider wanting to handle.  Thankfully my wheel gun is ported and has a full length ejection rod shroud so that extra weight up front and the porting makes even that load feel like a weak .357 load in a medium frame revolver of that caliber.  It's a big baby.  I was amazed at the lack of recoil.  To be honest I was a little disapointed.  Part of why I got a .44 was to feel abused.  Recoil in a big bore gun is appealing to me.  But I have a little .44 Special snubby that actually kicks harder.  It's down right pleasingly painful with 240gr bullets, so I usually fire 200gr in it.  Just to give you an idea of the recoil, the 200gr load has the same ballistics of a 230gr .45 ACP - out of a 1911.  I love big bore guns.  You better handload though.  The ammo is pricey if not.

Levi
My level of respect for a person is determined by how much they are willing to endure for what they believe in.

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 02:36:50 PM »
Nice!  I laughed at wanting to feel abused when firing a .44

I'm still planning on getting around to handloading. I've been spending money on other things, first. Like bills. Student loans all came due. That's $400 a month extra that I don't have, so, pretty much not doing anything. :/
Men have become the tools of their tools.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline Leviathan

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 02:26:58 AM »
Drew, I have many extras that I can give you.  I consider you a pal, not just some guy over the net.  Send me an email and we will work out the specifics.  Basically, I got all I have for $75 from a guy who quit reloading.  I have thousands of dollars worth of stuff.  So much that I feel overwhelmed and all I am using are Lee hand presses while 3 grand worth of other stuff sits in boxes.  I have no less than four 4 stage progressive presses - you know, the kind that drop the powder and everything for you.  But the shit is a mess, man.  The old guy went blind and his family dissasembled and boxed everything.  No directions, no order to the parts.  I am overwhelmed by it all.freecycle won't let you give gun stuff away so I will just use this board I guess.  Mainly because if I do it at The High Road or arfcom or something I will get inindated with douchebags pestering me about the posts for years from now and also 14 year old kids asking me questions about guns - which they can't buy any way.  It's why I removed my youtube vids.  That and these video game ninja's who want to argue with something you say compared to their experience with a weapon in a game.  Seriously.  There should have to be age limit for the internet.  But at any rate...email me.  And I promise that soon I will go through those boxes and I will be glad to send you all of the surplus that I do not need.  Just pay the shipping.  That shit weighs a ton.  I might even be able to sneak you some primers and powder in the mail...shipped seperately of course.

Levi

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 10:41:51 AM »
Dude.  That would be awesome. Thank you!

I actually did finish building my AR. I decided that I wanted to do a straight A2 build, but with a 16" barrel.  The hand-guards and sight radius are rifle length but it has a carbine length gas tube so the dwell time is long enough to not cause problems with the extraction.  Standard iron sights, standard everything. I went budget with this one, and got the kit from Model 1 sales back in April, I think. I'm sure some of the parts are Chinese, which of course makes me entirely un-American, but the boys at arfcom wouldn't like that it isn't brand name anyway. So, whatever.  It was fun to build and within budget.  I'd rather spend the money learning to shoot the thing.

I finally took it to a range Saturday morning. Turns out the thing works as described! I fired 100 rounds through it without any problems. The place I went to only had a 50 and 100 yd range, so sighting it in was a bit tedious.  As far as sighting it in, it took me awhile to get the feel of it, get something on paper, and get comfortable enough that I was consistently grouping before I started making adjustments. I never got it zeroed, but pretty close.  I'm going to have to go back out (damn!) and work on it.
Men have become the tools of their tools.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline Leviathan

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 12:49:43 AM »
Wellllll...  I was going to give you free stuff but after reading your last post, I suddenly feel the need to be Jewish...  Just kidding.  I am sending the rest of the info to the email address that you PMed me.

Levi

anything