Author Topic: Rap?  (Read 11656 times)

Offline xeno

• Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
Rap?
« on: July 25, 2010, 05:21:47 PM »
I'm trying out some other music while I'm waiting for good shit to happen to this scene again (even most of the main artists have just released boring and forgettable albums lately), and one of the genres I thought I'd tap into was rap... like gangsta rap / hip hop kinda stuff...

I got the album Gutter Tactics by Dälek a while ago (example), which is kinda good... however, except for that it's hard to find anything worth listening to...

kinda wanted to try out gangsta rap - some hardcore shit about murder, drugs and hoes, but when I try out stuff like 50 cents and similar, it's just boring mainstream poppy shit...

there's of course Public Enemy that I need to listen more to, but that's pretty ancient...

so, any suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 05:25:10 PM by xeno »

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
Re: Rap?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 05:58:40 PM »
Gangsta rap is shit by default, IMO

Have you tried going into the triphop scene? I don't know a ton of artists in there but I always liked Massive Attack, it's a bit more interesting.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Headhunter

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 09:37:18 PM »
An artist worth trying (and he is definitely no "50 cents"), is Paris.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_(rapper)

That wikipedia link is definitely worth reading. The guy had led an interesting life so far.

I checked iTunes and they carry some of his albums.

"Sleeping with the Enemy" is a great album. It contains a song called "Bushkilla" that caused a bit of a stir. Actually, most of his albums or album covers have caused stirs throughout his career. ;-)
Another good album is "The devil made me do it".

His more recent albums are softer; kinda like P.E.'s work.

EDIT: Check out T-KASH. Pretty good rapper as well.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 09:43:39 PM by Headhunter »

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 04:34:27 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAdventuresOfDnB#p/u/9/3WdJ_J5rGTc

The only rap songs I listen to without getting the urge to stab my eardrums.
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

Offline Make Tea Not War

• Cybernetic Grunt
  • Nipples are made 2 be pierced!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 03:00:40 PM »
I was struck by lighting
Walkin' down the street
I was hit by something last night in my sleep
It's a dead man's party
Who could ask for more
Everybody's comin', leave your body at the door

Offline tRiCkHaTT

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 04:15:55 PM »
~Headcrash
...where there is a whip~there is a way...

Offline xeno

• Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 04:39:51 AM »

Have you tried going into the triphop scene? I don't know a ton of artists in there but I always liked Massive Attack, it's a bit more interesting.

I've tried a bit of massive attack (who I like)... I'm pretty eclectic, so I'm trying out most scenes...

the main ones I can't stand are jazz, marching bands (who does?), the kind of music that are played by people in equal suits that 50 year olds dance to, and a whole lot of classical (I like some classical, but can't stand stuff like a.e. mozart...)

Anyway, I think my rap dive will end with Public Enemy, Dälek and if I happen to stumble upon something that isn't crap in the future...

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 10:11:37 AM »

I've tried a bit of massive attack (who I like)... I'm pretty eclectic, so I'm trying out most scenes...

the main ones I can't stand are jazz, marching bands (who does?), the kind of music that are played by people in equal suits that 50 year olds dance to, and a whole lot of classical (I like some classical, but can't stand stuff like a.e. mozart...)

Anyway, I think my rap dive will end with Public Enemy, Dälek and if I happen to stumble upon something that isn't crap in the future...

Haha, my grandfather likes marching bands.  The classical station I listen to on the way to work (internet: WRR101.com) plays a "march of the day" every morning at 7:35. Usually something by Sousa. I'm not a fan of classical music so much as music from the romantic period, which usually gets lumped into classical category. Romantic period music is far superior to classical music.

Men have become the tools of their tools.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline toprngr

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 08:18:44 AM »
I have to agree with you that artists nowadays are full of crap as they only sing about money, girls, and that basically covers everything. I was wondering what happened to all the good old shit that we used to have before all these artists appeared. Depending on what rap you are trying to developed on but I guess you could do well if you would know what you want. Getting started with something to get the skills refined.

Offline mikepowell512

• Cybernetic Grunt
  • Always hardcore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 07:16:46 AM »
My opinion is simple: Rap is shit.

But not for the music - tact, rhytm or beats..

For me its shit for culture, which is spreading.

Money as #1 objective, girls and women as a "fuckthing", being dumb as an advantage, wearing underpants on head to being "cool" and totally disrespect to everythnig...

I know that hip hop and rap were founded on different values, but rap music becaming favourite in specific kind of people.. And THEY make this music NOW ---> Its shit exactly like the ators.

There is a revolution and a reformation needed..

Live your life according to your own rules.

Offline koggen

• Bandwidth Donator
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Digital Gunfire
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 01:20:13 AM »
The only rap (or rather hip hop - whatever difference that may be) I've ever enjoyed was/is Beastie Boys (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4PN7Xbexq4 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7UnhSz1fSQ which are my favourites) and Run DMC (I actually even have been sound technician at one of their concerts!) "Mary Mary" and "It's Like That" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BW8EkUTml4) were pretty cool live actually. Other than that I pretty much agree with mikepowell512 ...

RNC

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 09:14:37 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zvCUPOkoWY

this is from a group called molotov. i like their stuff a lot because it mixes mexican folk genres with rap and even some hardcore punk and metal sometimes. good shit, very political though so be warned.

Offline billiskye92

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 06:37:36 AM »
To be honestI believe that it is one of the many ways of explaining your self. Yes rap is rude (alot of it) Disrespectful to women, but when you think about some other bands they talk about that one b!tCh that broke their heart and how they hope she dies... I will admit most Rap sucks and its poorly writen, Not all rap sucks those some of ... Eminem's( spelled wrong I think) stuff is pretty good.
See I have a wide range of musical taste just industrial,emb, techno, and darker stuff seems to apply to me. Just like rap goes to those gangsta dudes

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 11:07:43 AM »
I just had the displeasure to listen to this complete waste resources called 'Soulja Boy' and his latest (very successful) attempt to rape my ears so hard with soundwaves that my eardrums almost burst and I started bleeding out of my nose.

His song 'anime', where he 'raps' about how much he loves anime (an insult to everybody involved in the creation of anime and manga) is possibly the very worst song on this planet.

Seriously, I dont mind good rap, but this guy....god. I have no words for how bad he is. If I where an American in America, Id sue him for all his money.
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

Offline forgivegod

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »
so, any suggestions?

http://www.grooveshark.com
Search for : 9 leaves
Album is called : peace in death
Tracksnamed : yesterday, apt 9a, and bad dreams are very good

This is my next door neighbors group, so i am a bit biased so see for yourself. The other tracks are different and mingled with ambient sounds put together by one of the music director for that movie inception (i never havent seen it). If you like want you hear i cqn send you the whole album. my neighbor gave me permission.

anything