Author Topic: personal rant (blog type)  (Read 6673 times)

Offline creepster

• Don't Take It Personally
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
  • mess with the best - die like the rest
    • View Profile
personal rant (blog type)
« on: July 29, 2010, 06:55:56 AM »
ok, so i dont have a personal blog yet but sometimes i feel the urge to just rave and rant and talk about my life
once i get settled (you'll know what i mean later on if you continue reading) i promise i wont mis-use the off topic forum for personal rants

so what a lot of people dont know (sometimes that i am female, ha!) is that i have been getting my job's notice at the end of the very same week i have gotten back from my visit and vacation in germany
yes, that has been a while ago and my legal time of notice was 5 weeks

during those 5 weeks i have finished up main experiments for a hopeful-maybe-publication, cleaning up the lab, packing my 2 bedroom apartment, finishing personal business here in kingston, moving stuff into storage, cleaning up more lab stuff and whatnot
just yesterday i arranged for people to take my leftover furniture

i have been stretched to no ends and right now i feel just numb compared to the constant state of panic that time is running out and i wont manage to finish everything (i wont anyway)

my plans are to stay with friends (east coast) while receiving EI (so im not completely fund-less) and looking for new work
thankfully i can take all my 4 cats with me
there's 2 companies in the states i am interested in but due to work permit or visa regulations i doubt it'll ever pull through

anyway, once i get to my new home i'll take a week off with wine and beach

i dont want any "sorry to hear", "wish you the best" or "i wish i could help"
i know it might look like it since posting the whole story .. but my motivation is similar to that sort of feeling you have that you just want to scream!

everything will work out - one way or the other
worst case it'll cost a lot of money and be inconvenient, but there's always europe
Theory is when you know everything and nothing works.
Practice is when things work, and no one knows why.
Here we combine theory and practice.
Nothing works and no one knows why.

modified, taken from bash.org

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
Re: personal rant (blog type)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 05:10:43 AM »
Sell all your stuff, buy an RV and go live in the grand canyon

That's what I would do
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 05:46:07 PM »
I seem to recall you were a bit listless with your present situation, anyway.  Sounds like your mind was made up for you regarding leaving Kingston. 

I think I know how you feel. Like your give-a-damn broke but somehow you carry on anyway. I felt that way during my last semester of school.  There was simply too much to do in too little time, so a lot fell by the wayside. I just managed what I could.  Like you said, in the end everything will be fine.

Just do like the Mexicans and work in the US anyway.  Fake documents are apparently easy enough to come by. :) And unless things have changed since I was in a hiring role, even if I suspected documents were fake, I couldn't question them. It was always incumbent on the person providing me the documents to assure their legitimacy. And it's not like being here illegally is ever actually treated like a criminal act. Hell, Black Jesus is kicking around the idea of granting amnesty to illegal aliens right now. This could be your big opportunity!

Men have become the tools of their tools.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline faelaenx

• part time cosmological avatar and possible high functioning sociopath
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
  • R.eality I.s P.erception
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 03:12:18 PM »
Hell, Black Jesus is kicking around the idea of granting amnesty to illegal aliens right now.

i'm sure this will cause a stir amongst some of you neo-conservs, but i actually support an idea of immigrants serving in the military in order to procure legal citizenship.

The whole thing about our immigration 'problem' disturbs me a lot of the time. i've worked mostly blue collar all my 36 years (yes, i was helping out my family straight out the womb) and had a variety of different jobs. i never finished college and have had my fair share of ups and downs. BUT i guarantee you that no Mexican is ever taking away a job that YOU would want. PERIOD. They get a bad rap. PERIOD. At least they aren't coming from an Arabic country and taking advantage of our tax laws by keeping their small business in the family. And i don't hate Arabic people either. i just hate humans.

The temp agency that my warehouse uses has about one third Mexican work-force. The rest is pure Detroit. And i want to say, that besides the language barrier (which makes me want to educate myself more and be less ignorant) i have no problems. And even that barrier isn't always a problem. They actually work harder and more diligently than most lazy-arsed people i have worked with in my life.

So that's me silly little rant. Pick it apart as you wish...
i can only please one person a day. Today is NOT your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either...

Offline thinkingthing

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 07:45:26 PM »
If things go real bad, I'd strongly consider Australia. 5.7% unemployment, low taxes, a real healthcare system, kick-ass cars, and the Shiraz flows like water. Though me and my Trek are in love with the Netherlands.

Offline creepster

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 08:41:47 PM »
If things go real bad, I'd strongly consider Australia. 5.7% unemployment, low taxes, a real healthcare system, kick-ass cars, and the Shiraz flows like water. Though me and my Trek are in love with the Netherlands.

*lol*
i dont think australia would be the way to go for me
they have the "most poisonous" of everything there

Offline diseased

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 03:41:58 AM »
hmm - when I lived in Oz I was unimpressed with the charging model for the healthcare sysem - especially in comparison with the UK charging model.

Still - overall it was better service than the UK - just cost more to the end user at point of delivery.

Yes - of course we can argue around the real vs PoD cost and taxation etc...but still.

anyway - Oz is way too hot. I prefer a good old fashioned British summer day  :)

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 07:29:40 AM »

Bleh, they got some retarded conservatives over there. You know, the kind that bans all the cool games because they are to violent.

If you ever come to Holland, be sure to visit me :P
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

Offline diseased

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 04:04:53 PM »
Oh dear - someone just hit my rant button :(

I grew up in the UK and moved to Australia when I was 20. Lived there for almost 10 years before I managed to escape.

I have to say I found it a very disturbing place to live in an insidious way. Conservative is an interesting term to use. I prefer redneck...nay - rabid redneck. A lot of the people there are nice and a number, particularly in a big city like Sydney, are tolerant and reasonable. Sadly the country also has a predominance of rascist bigotted mysoginists. Truly horrid people who make me cringe when I think of them. The proportion of these people is great enough to vote in ultra-conservatives on a regular basis and keep nauseating fascist pricks like John Law in super cars for life.

As a country I could not wait to leave and count myself lucky my Australian wife is of a similar mind.

Now if anyone wants to see me really kick off then mention Scotland.... ;)

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 05:27:08 PM »
Oh dear - someone just hit my rant button :(

I grew up in the UK and moved to Australia when I was 20. Lived there for almost 10 years before I managed to escape.

I have to say I found it a very disturbing place to live in an insidious way. Conservative is an interesting term to use. I prefer redneck...nay - rabid redneck. A lot of the people there are nice and a number, particularly in a big city like Sydney, are tolerant and reasonable. Sadly the country also has a predominance of rascist bigotted mysoginists. Truly horrid people who make me cringe when I think of them. The proportion of these people is great enough to vote in ultra-conservatives on a regular basis and keep nauseating fascist pricks like John Law in super cars for life.

As a country I could not wait to leave and count myself lucky my Australian wife is of a similar mind.

Now if anyone wants to see me really kick off then mention Scotland.... ;)

Oh yeah, I remember a girl from such a family. She was a good friend and thankfully also a more open minded person. May her soul rest peacefully...

Also, Id like to hear what you have against Scotland.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 05:28:47 PM by Lexus »
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 01:47:47 PM »
So, how did everything turn out?

I'm guessing things have settled a bit by now.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline creepster

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 05:15:12 PM »
well,  things did settle down but they still suck

- i'm single now and HATE it
- i exchanged my german drivers license into the canadian and zipping around in my friend's car whenever i get acces to it, and i LOVE it (been back behind the steering wheel after a 16 year break) *lol*
- still no job but there's the odd posting every now and then so i wont give up
i set my dead line for interviews until end of november and then i'll look into european jobs
- i learn a new recipe every two days because i have nothing else to do than cooking
by now i can make a meat loaf worth killing for, sun dried tomato/feta stuffed chicken breasts, Moroccan style chicken with apricots and peaches, pork in mushroom sauce, gnocchi baked in tomato sauce, and and and
- i have not received any EI benefits yet (eligible though but i made the mistake of telling that i took a month personal time)
- i DID finally send of my perm res application to buffalo and i hope it is just a matter of time until they send me back the schedule for the outstanding medical examination

so ... there ya go

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 06:25:14 PM »
Sounds like a few things are still in limbo, and I know how that can suck.

Wow, 16 years without driving. Our public trans in Texas is shit, so I can't even fathom not driving wherever I need to go.

Cooking is great! Some of those things sounded really good. I love cooking for people. And it will be invaluable when you do meet someone new :)

Glad to hear you've been making headway. Your rant sounded a little dour.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline creepster

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 10:10:09 PM »
so, not to jinx too much but it seems that i will be ending up in winnipeg

i got my flight ticket booked, but nothing is set in stone, so it might be yet another temporary stop

if not i will have a kick-ass job and once everything is settled i'll keep you updated (if you want it or not)

so please, please cross fingers for now!

[=

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 11:34:45 AM »
so, not to jinx too much but it seems that i will be ending up in winnipeg

i got my flight ticket booked, but nothing is set in stone, so it might be yet another temporary stop

if not i will have a kick-ass job and once everything is settled i'll keep you updated (if you want it or not)

so please, please cross fingers for now!

[=
*crosses fingers*

Good luck then! I hope you get the job.

Also, Winnipeg is that in the US or still Canada?
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

anything