Author Topic: thinking about djing  (Read 5233 times)

Offline aphxero

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
thinking about djing
« on: January 06, 2011, 03:58:06 AM »
So I've been into this stuff for about 15 years now and honestly I dont like the dj's in my area. This makes me want to dj. For those djs on here. Do you play things everyone likes all the time? I feel like the things i like might not be club friendly and thats why I dont hear them much.

I have a musical background and I've actually made lots of ebm music in the past. I feel like I know what it's all about and really want to make a good set. But does anyone in a club care? Do they want to hear different things?

I was thinking of DJ ing with cubase because I'm so familiar with it. This would let me mix in ways not normally done around here. But for you club DJ's does any of this make any difference?

I would get back into music production but I' not sure I want to yet. Maybe I can post some stuff I made like 10 years ago?

So I guess the question is do you build your set on what you like or what people at the club are used to hearing?

Thanks,

Offline netcore

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: thinking about djing
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 03:58:50 AM »
First of all, Cubase ist not meant for DJing at all - it's a sequencer, not a crossmix-tool. First you should decide what media suits your mixing skills and how many bucks you might want to spend on it. Vinyl would require you to get a good set of turntables for home-pratice (like Technics MK1200 starting at something of 600-800 $ per table) plus additional costs for vinyl. If you prefer to CD, get yourself a good crossmixer and 2 CD-players with the usual functions like pitch/jogdial etc.. And if you want MP3, you might wanna start with Tools like Tractor DJ.

Talking about "new stuff" or "may the clubs like it": It's about YOUR OWN style. Ever DJ has his musicial preferences. That's what actually seperates one DJ form another. The big point is to actually being able to crossmix in a good way rather than just pressing play and stop like many DJs (sadly) do.

Offline rayzr

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Maschinestorm
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 06:33:53 AM »
Just get Ableton Live and a cheap controller like the M-audio xsession ($80)
and prepare to enter the world of the... DISC JOCKEY!

Offline kmfdm1308

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
    • Ars Technica
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 12:12:23 AM »
Ahh, DJ'ing. I miss it sometimes, but more often than not, I don't. I did the whole industrial/goth dj thing for about a 1 1/2 years. Really liked doing it, but full time job, a hot gf, full time school killed it for me. Also, clubbed (not DJ'ed) at Das Bunker LA a couple of times, Perversions Hollywood, and Bar Sinister. Anyhow..........

What would you need? Well 2 turntables and a microphone (ha)...not really a mic, but it helps if you like talking BS on the mic once in a while. When I DJ'ed I usually used what whatever club I was at already had setup, which was usually nothing more than 2-4 Denon or American DJ CD decks with a 4 channel mixer connected to it.

As far as a music set would go, I would say that it depends on the club plus on the type of music/song and if you know how to mix properly or not. If you can't mix properly, then PRACTICE. It takes time, trust me. Music wise depends on the crowd or the club. People can say its your set, play what you want, but when it comes down to it, you're there to entertain the crowd, not please yourself jamming out on a loud ass stereo system. When a band gets on stage to play, regardless of genre of music, they perform for the crowd. For example, if you throw on Combichrist-This Shit Will FUck you Up and then follow up with Diary of Dreams-Butterfly|Dance, they don't match. Sure they sound good and are both excellent songs, they just don't mesh. Older songs, I know, but I hope you get my point.

I'll upload some mixes I have performed by a Miss Black Cat soon. I'm just a bit drunk right now and kinda want to just jump over to my bed and crash out. I'll post again soon with links to the mixes. If I find my mixes, I'll upload it for everyone.

Offline kmfdm1308

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
    • Ars Technica
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 07:29:51 PM »
Couldn't find my mixes although I'm still looking for them. I do have the two mixes from a Miss Black Cat though.

Miss Black Cat - Dark Passions
http://www.fileserve.com/file/jz4ku7b/Miss_Black_Cat_-_Dark_Passions.rar

Miss Black Cat - A Dark Winter Overture
http://www.fileserve.com/file/ZujpdCA/Miss_Black_Cat_-_A_Dark_Winter_Overture.rar