Author Topic: A Question for the DJs  (Read 4542 times)

Offline SpaceKat

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
A Question for the DJs
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:45:09 PM »
So I want to start djing and need to get some equipment to start practicing on. However, this brings up the question of what kind of equipment I should get. I definitely want to mix and blend. I don't want to use records and turntables. I was thinking of getting a couple cdjs, a mixer and a monitor. But seeing that cds are being used less and less, is it still viable to dj with cdjs? Or should I be looking into mp3 based mixers and computer software? Also, what are the best models to get for a beginner? Thanx a lot!

Offline Normal

• Digital Grunt
  • udronline.net
    • View Profile
    • [U-D-R] online
Re: A Question for the DJs
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 03:12:47 AM »
While I'm not a big fan of them.  Numark makes some good beginner all in one models with CD players or entirely mp3 based.

I've used the above mentioned type set ups in clubs, they work fine.  I've also used Pioneer and Denon DJ equipment.  I liked the Pioneer mixers and Denon CD controllers/players.

I just did a quick look.  Last time I was DJing, things were very much different.  Looks like most DJ "controllers" can be hooked up to computers and the like.  So much for CDs.

I'll be in the corner dusting some cobwebs off my view of the universe.

-Anthony

Offline SpaceKat

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 12:21:13 AM »
Hehe. Thanx for the input. I've checked out some of those starter packs. I"m not sure if they're good or not though, but they might be worth trying out before I invest a significant amount of money into dj equipment.

Offline DJ Wolf

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 05:09:47 AM »
(long post so apologies before you start to read)

There's a few things you need to ask yourself. Are you going to try to be a working DJ? How much money do you have to play with? What style are you going to mix? ( I assume dark wave/industrial etc)

I started DJing in the 80's on turntables in clubs using vinyl and beat mixing was the only way to go about club DJing. I bought many Turntables as they became better engineered and better technology was used to build them.

Last year I sold all my vinyl ( around 5000 12'' singles and maybe 1000 albums ) and after the tears (vinyl junkies will understand) I bought control discs for my turntables and a piece of hardware which allowed me to mix digital music with a live vinyl feel. (Torq and connectiv respectively)

Finally, early this year I bought a midi controller (Xponent) and I run it straight into the laptop to mix the same digital music.

Depending on which DJ's I speak to, some say learning on turntables and experiencing the tactile feel and the lag and all sorts of things that turntables and vinyl offer ( jumps, scratched after much useage, background grinding sound, needle quality) they were much better digital DJ's when they swapped to digital rigs.

Others have never seen a turntable or vinyl let alone used them and have no problem using a midi digital rig.

In the end is a personal choice thing. Midi DJing can make life very easy as there are auto sync buttons and various other tools that can make it so very easy to beat mix.

The cost of equipment is an issue. If you are, or intend to be a working DJ then the cost, in the end, will cover itself with the payoff from gigs.

If you are going to be  bedroom DJ then you really dont need tom spend large amounts of money.

Starting with a cheaper DJ rig then upgrading can cost you more then just buying the mid to top line DJ rigs.

Look at the DJ's you like and see what they use, see how they go about their craft.

Ultimately, it's not what you use to mix, it's how you use the gear. How you blend styles and beats and whether you choose to learn to beat mix without using the easy sync buttons and so forth. If you decide not to learn to beat mix then you would be just as smart to find a little cheap DJ program and play one song after another without worrying about blending beats.

With my rig I mix house, techno, funk, aggrotech, industrial, darkwave, hellecktro and never had a problem with the rig or the software. Do your research and look at the options with the equipment you are considering buying.

DJ Wolf

Offline SpaceKat

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 06:32:43 AM »
Thanx for the reply DJ Wolf. Your post wasn't that long, but it was very helpful. :)

I'd like to be a working dj to make some extra cash when I get good enough. But it's not my main goal with djing, I just want to make music and have fun. If I get a laptop for digital djing as well, I can spend around $1500 as I need a laptop anyway. The styles I"d be mixing are industrial, aggrotech, powernoise, hardcore techno, etc. Things in that vain.

I totally want to beat match on my own. DJing and mixing is something I've wanted to do for a long time and wish I had of started sooner, but I didn't really have the resources. I would have loved to have mixed with turntables and vinyl back in the day. And I've played around with some cdjs before too. So I'm not really sure if the era of vinyl and cdjs is over or if it just comes down to a matter of style nowadays. I really want to experience the tactile feel of mixing though. But it seems like I might be able to get the hands on feel with a midi controller as well and pretty much have unlimited options of the kind of music I can find and use and have good portability. I'm thinking it might be best to go the midi controller route now, and if down the road I still want some cdjs I can go ahead and get those too. 

Offline Hunter J7

• alias. Nexus 6
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
  • Bailout Check
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 11:29:14 AM »
Hey Wolf.  Ya that must have been pretty tough selling off all that vinyl.  Wish I could have been there to get as much as possible.  Did you transfer it to digital first?  Sure must have been quite a fabulous collection.  Probabably along the lines of what CEvin Key had back in the 80's which I am sure has grown substantially along with his keyboard collection. 
Severed Heads.  What has become of them.  It sure was great when they came to Vancouver back then.  And then the SP tour they came along with us on.  My Dead Eyes were sure wide open back then. 
NOW I HAVE TO RUN BEFORE THE STORM,  I'LL  FIND MY OWN WAY.

Offline DJ Wolf

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 09:43:47 AM »
Hey Hunter,

Selling my vinyl was hard but I had digital copies of most of it. What I didn't I don't miss.

As for Severed Heads, I believe Tom is about and doing shows still about the place.

However selling all the vinyl and going digital has made my djing a lot easier to do.

Ive been lucky enough to do DJ support for Assemblage 23, Icon Of Coil, Psyche, Shit Disco and last weekend, Grendel. And next month I'm support for Nactmahr. Made all much easier using digital gear.

So while it sucks I got rid of my vinyl, my gigs have picked up and being part of the Promoters crew is a benefit as well.

The digitial thing has also been able to allow me to do some real cool stuff  with other Djs overseas and interstate.

So upsides and downsides..

Wolf

anything