Offline faelaenx

• part time cosmological avatar and possible high functioning sociopath
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
  • R.eality I.s P.erception
    • View Profile
Re: Rap?
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2010, 12:25:10 AM »
...gonna play some Devil's Advocate here...

i'm sure it's 'cultural', just as with the music here that we identify with. Let's say, for example, that you ('you' meaning anyone out there, not 'you' specifically), as a fan of industrial music, decide one day that you want to share your philosophical genius with the whole world and 'tell it like it is'. You have something to say and whether it's religio-socio-polital or conversely, just plain fun, you need to spit it out lyrically, electronically and musically.

What do you do?

Start a MoTown quartet? Watch Nascar, learn about trailer-life (i live in one so i can make fun. Besides, these people are damn entertaining) and mew about it with a twang? Get a Mega-Corp backing and spend most hours of your existence being shaped and molded to impress the masses and garner income? Coffee houses as an indie-artist?

No. Methinks you would go with the genre you love and know and identify with. THAT does not invalidate anything you would have to say or offer. It's your chosen medium.  Of course you would express yourself that way. Some stray and some fuse. And that is how new things happen =)

But most humans express their ideas in frames of familiarity; past experience being especially of dominant import. So if you grow up in a very certain and specified culture, it's very natural to want to express yourself via that.

The fact that you (now i actually mean 'you' NEU) 'cannot' understand is curious to me. i get that most people that listen to 'our' genre of sounds really HATE rap. i, for the most part, agree. It's a very different culture. But really, is the message so different? Again, not advocating or illuminating, but the good stuff voices change. And being self-aware, as a human cognizant of the shite that occurs all around us, each of us chooses our own medium in which to speak our thoughts/concerns.

But yes, Gansta is positively fuktarded. The poets that are trapped in that choose their own device. They have become fuktards and no respect in mine eyes. At least here where i live, i can say 'No' versus 'go'

Moral of the Story?
Don't believe the HYPE
i can only please one person a day. Today is NOT your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either...

Offline Hunter J7

• alias. Nexus 6
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
  • Bailout Check
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2011, 09:32:31 AM »
...gonna play some Devil's Advocate here...

i'm sure it's 'cultural', just as with the music here that we identify with. Let's say, for example, that you ('you' meaning anyone out there, not 'you' specifically), as a fan of industrial music, decide one day that you want to share your philosophical genius with the whole world and 'tell it like it is'. You have something to say and whether it's religio-socio-polital or conversely, just plain fun, you need to spit it out lyrically, electronically and musically.

What do you do?

Start a MoTown quartet? Watch Nascar, learn about trailer-life (i live in one so i can make fun. Besides, these people are damn entertaining) and mew about it with a twang? Get a Mega-Corp backing and spend most hours of your existence being shaped and molded to impress the masses and garner income? Coffee houses as an indie-artist?

No. Methinks you would go with the genre you love and know and identify with. THAT does not invalidate anything you would have to say or offer. It's your chosen medium.  Of course you would express yourself that way. Some stray and some fuse. And that is how new things happen =)

But most humans express their ideas in frames of familiarity; past experience being especially of dominant import. So if you grow up in a very certain and specified culture, it's very natural to want to express yourself via that.

The fact that you (now i actually mean 'you' NEU) 'cannot' understand is curious to me. i get that most people that listen to 'our' genre of sounds really HATE rap. i, for the most part, agree. It's a very different culture. But really, is the message so different? Again, not advocating or illuminating, but the good stuff voices change. And being self-aware, as a human cognizant of the shite that occurs all around us, each of us chooses our own medium in which to speak our thoughts/concerns.

But yes, Gansta is positively fuktarded. The poets that are trapped in that choose their own device. They have become fuktards and no respect in mine eyes. At least here where i live, i can say 'No' versus 'go'

Moral of the Story?
Don't believe the HYPE
This seems to be a pretty reliable analogy you have here faelaenx.  When one wants to express themselves with some sort of message to the people of their neigbouring area or the entire world if one can create what the world would want to hear with an appropriate massage.  The sound style of the time within the person's culture will usually trump out the many genre's of music.  
There have certainly been some rap numbers that have turned my ears up as there have usually been more that I would dismiss.  The way that industrial music has some classics that any average jane or joe would listen to and enjoy yet with the majority of it being unlistenable for their poor sensitive ears.  
It goes back and forth for listeners of most types of music.  Eminem sure has put out some very creative work with his style of rap as SOME of his work got me to enjoy his sound a whole lot.  I cant remember his name right now but that dude who did CALIFORNIA.  I just remebered today.  Tupac.  That was a great peice of rap and I sure do hope it was not the number that got him killed, God rest his soul.  Then Blondie with Rapture in 1981.  The first white rap song I know of and with the punk influences in it.  It was a stellar peice of work.  
However, I am humored by the dissing of chicks in rap music as like in country.  But at least in country which I have no tolerance for.  I you want your woman, house and truck back.  Just play the song backwards.  Ha Ha, fukin Ha Ha.  
And it is not the actual dissing of chicks that humors me.  But just the fact that it is done and the way it is done despite how unnacceptable it really is.
Anyways faelaenx.  I liked what you wrote there and thought to add my own thoughts.  
GDay mate.  Later.  
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:07:44 PM by Hunter J7 »
NOW I HAVE TO RUN BEFORE THE STORM,  I'LL  FIND MY OWN WAY.

Offline aphxero

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2011, 03:41:33 PM »
I listen to gucci mane. What the fuuuuuuuu.

Rap is what the civil right movement always envisioned lol. No really I have much respect for many rappers. Some of them are VERY smart even if they look/act dumb.

Offline faelaenx

• part time cosmological avatar and possible high functioning sociopath
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
  • R.eality I.s P.erception
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2011, 02:32:36 AM »
i'm gonna have to go with Marshall Mathers as my favorite RAPPER .. DR DRE endorsed. Listen to the lyryics, Eminem is straight up with the only love/hate.
i can only please one person a day. Today is NOT your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either...

Offline Hunter J7

• alias. Nexus 6
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
  • Bailout Check
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Yes for myself as well.  Marshal Mathers with his creativity in all areas of music, lyrics and video.  It is of high artistic integrity and has often caught my undevided attention which is hard for me to give out at times.  
However, with as little about rap I really know,   #2 for me would have to be tied even with Blondie's Rapture and Tupac's California.  
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 03:07:25 PM by Hunter J7 »
NOW I HAVE TO RUN BEFORE THE STORM,  I'LL  FIND MY OWN WAY.

Offline xeno

• Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2011, 04:09:59 AM »
Stumbled upon El-P, which I can at least listen to without getting annoyed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWNA-jJNhos

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 12:11:45 PM »
This is by far my favorite rap song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ-hPNrKdZI

It's a spoof on Waka Flocka Flame's "hard in the paint"
Men have become the tools of their tools.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

anything