Author Topic: The Keep  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Hunter J7

• alias. Nexus 6
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
  • Bailout Check
    • View Profile
The Keep
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:07:33 AM »
Partially because that it is halloween.  But more importantly because it is just a really cool film about demonic forces or one particular force that has only one nemises to battle it.  The Keep is a movie I first watched with Skinny Puppy and friends a long time ago after a night of partying and it is of the caliber of film that one can not forget.  Filmed in a cool mountain pass of Austria with Tangerine Dream on the soundtrack.  It is not exactly a chud flick like the ones we would watch after a night cool partying.  But one with the kind of spiritual evil that requires just one designated being with strong enough spiritual good power to put that evil back into its keep, thus the name of the book and film. 
Oddly enough about 15 years after seeing the film when I moved to Newfoundland.  I found the book in a second hand book store and then learned who the author is.  Paul Wilson.  A great book yet one of the few times when the film is as good as the book.  I sure wish I still had that book yet lost it after giving it to a freind to read.  It will probably be very difficult to find that movie in a video store as I am sure it was never put on DVD let alone blue ray.  Yet I did find it on you tube and sure would recommend it to all.  Please let me know if there are any others out there who have seen the film or read the book and what your thoughts of it are. 
Cheers to all and stay alive tonight.
NOW I HAVE TO RUN BEFORE THE STORM,  I'LL  FIND MY OWN WAY.

Offline JennyH

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
Re: The Keep
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 08:11:51 PM »
I found it on Netflix streaming. It gets 1.5 stars but I watched it anyway.
unlightening

Offline Hunter J7

• alias. Nexus 6
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
  • Bailout Check
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 01:42:26 PM »
I found it on Netflix streaming. It gets 1.5 stars but I watched it anyway.
That would leave me to think that Netflix rates there films on the content of Hollywood Bling and special effects.  I thought it was the story to go along with the location and the drama in the acting that made the Keep so damn good.  We all sure thought it was pretty good back when we all first seen it and I liked it as much when I recently saw it again.  I am glad it is on Netflix.  Now I know where to go to check it out again which i will do this weekend.  I know that I am just an old boy.  But tell me honestly.  What was your opinion of the Keep.  And thanks for letting me know where it is. 

Offline JennyH

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 08:34:50 AM »
THEY WERE ALL DRAWN TO THE KEEP! I'm not sure what to think about this movie. I have a love/hate feeling about it, if that makes any sense. Most of the film was visually intriguing, and definitely fits into the "gothic horror" category.

I really enjoyed Molasar when he was "cloudlike" :-)

Sorry, I'm not the biggest fan of Tangerine Dream. I had my surround sound cranked during the entire movie and I felt like I was listening to a 90's Casio Keyboard, and during the end of the movie I felt like I was in a wind tunnel. I'll watch it again sometime when I have more vodka present. :-)

unlightening

Offline Hunter J7

• alias. Nexus 6
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
  • Bailout Check
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 08:57:52 AM »
Hey JennyH.  Thanks for your thoughts on that.  And your right.  I am not the biggest Tangerine Dream fan either.  In fact the only release I do have from them is the double album Warsaw Concert they did outdoors in winter for free for the people still under the iron curtain back then.  The music is quite good I thought then and still do.  Maybe because it was just so politically correct back then.  But I really do think moreso that it is a good peice done by them.  And as far as the Keep.  As goth punks cruising into industrial.  We were just drawn to the nature of the film.  Cheers.

Offline Hunter J7

• alias. Nexus 6
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
  • Bailout Check
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:38:12 AM »
Hey JennyH and to all.  I watched it again on Saturday night with an artistic friend.  Personally I think the cinamatography is very good for its time of creation.  It almost borderlines film noir on a gothic sense of horror.  Like the slow motion trooper that was being tempted on towards his doom with the shining of the cross confusing him in what was really causing his false attraction to the demonic temptation.  And then the same demonic influence to tempt the historian brought back from the concentration camp with the false hope that this demon is only against the SS to lure him to bring out the talisman.  It really is a brilliant peice of work with real emotions put into the acting of the parts all around with a cast that was made for the film.  It cant really be compared with Men in Black in regards to the evolution of how film is made now.  Yet the cinamatography on this film is sure to please those with more historical values.  And then getting back to the soundtrack.  As I remembered, I sure did enjoy it at the time when I first saw it so long ago.  And still, it moves me.  One must remember that it was also done with anolog equipment as it and the film were made well before digital technology came about for these mediums.  I would still refere this film to any who would have the curiosity of what good directing of a good story is about for the time when it was made.   

Offline JennyH

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 12:43:42 PM »
It's a lost classic. Who could complain about a fantasy/gothic horror/sci-fi/WWII film? It's definitely unique.

I will complain a little bit though.....parts of it are very beautiful and spooky, but overall the story was kind of a mess (I think it had to do with the editing) .... I'm really only a fan of a few 80's movies, for example: The Neverending Story (now that's an amazing film!! :-D)
unlightening

Offline Hunter J7

• alias. Nexus 6
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
  • Bailout Check
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 07:43:23 AM »
Hi Jennyh.
Thanks again for responding to my last rant.  And I guess that is what is so cool about DG is that like minded people can have these on line innocent conversations about the music of our tastes and whatever other medium may come up.  I can not remember or just dont know if I have ever seen the Neverending Story.  Yet I sure am looking forward to seeing it when I get the chance.  Hopefully I will be going offshore to the oil rigs tomorrow and is unlikly to have netflicks out there.  When I get back or whenever I do see it I sure will be giving you my review on it.  And just by reading what you have wrote.  I am sure I will be going to enjoy it. 
Cheers JennyH

Offline JennyH

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 11:27:11 AM »
BTW, The Neverending Story is PG. Definitely not a horror movie :-P but it's one of my favorite 80's movies.
I've been on a crazy movie kick lately because I've been home way too much (I have a vertebrae out of place...not fun)

During the last couple weeks I watched some pretty amazing movies though:

Ink (like Donnie Darko meets The Matrix)
Awakening (I think this one is only available on Netflix streaming, just came out this year)
The Thing (the original)
Night Watch (I've seen this movie a million times but it's my all time favorite)

CHEERS!!
unlightening

Offline Hunter J7

• alias. Nexus 6
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
  • Bailout Check
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 02:03:37 PM »
  I hope you get your back straightened up.  I know, it does not feel good.  Thanks for the list and am looking forward to checking them out.  Talk soon again.

Offline Hunter J7

• alias. Nexus 6
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
  • Bailout Check
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 09:24:36 AM »
Hey Jenny H.
For some odd reason when I hit the forum page this old topic came up.  And after reading through it again for interest sakes.  I just wanted to say that was great how you put in that picture of Molassar in his cloud form. 
As far as the Tangerine Dream soudtrack.  That would have been more along the lines of a 1980's mini moog as apposed to a 1990's casio.  LOL. 
But with Tangerine Dream.  Their real piece of great work was the Warsaw concert in 1982.  A double album record taped from the show that was put on for free for the people still under the eastern block at the time. 
The whole concert really was a great piece of work. 
Have a good weekend please.