Author Topic: Icon of Coil is still better then Combichrist  (Read 20444 times)

Offline Drkdzine

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
Icon of Coil is still better then Combichrist
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:46:49 AM »
Granted i know its more or less two different sounds. Ones more stompy, and the other is real dancy. But to be honest I think the music composing was alot better in IOC. The songs were alot better too. I mean i still love the "speakers song" and the other one i really liked? alive for death? I mean yeah combichrist is great in the club to stomp to, but IOC is just musically better.. I heard in some grape vine they might pull back together.. anyone know the scoop on that? I should just ask him.. he lives here in Atlanta now.. married to one of my band mates ex's heh.. small world..

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
Re: Icon of Coil is still better then Combichrist
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 12:53:26 PM »
I am actually not a huge fan of either, but my wife would definitely agree with you.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Pixel

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 10:50:40 AM »
If you would have said Panzer AG then I would agree but not when it's IoC then I defenitly think Combichrist is better.

Offline serialthriller

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 01:07:21 AM »
how can one forget .......SUICIDE COMMANDO.........would prefer anyday over IOC or CC

Offline Drkdzine

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 07:20:20 AM »
I was stating the difference between two acts Andy was doing. Debating what band was best out of all. I mean I know SC surpasses CC big time. There is no doubt in my mind that SC is bigger and better then Andy..

But Panzer AG was good.. that second album was horrible. I was so let down with that. I mean that tip your waitress song and machine gun a go go, and that fire blazing BS.. and that chick singing harmony over the beat? Good lord, and dont even get me started on Scandy.. thats not even a debatable subject. IOC had more musical talent then the constant and seeming reused drums that CC uses.. yeah they are club hits, but ill dance to IOC more then CC anyday.. IOC is more iconic then CC. Your debating two completely different sounds too.. IOC is EBM, CC is more or less noize.

Offline Pixel

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 12:42:23 PM »
I don't really think the second album was that bad and I'm really glad you didn't mention "Among the few" when mentioning all the bad songs on that album because I think it's one of the best songs he's done. Even though it's not really like anything else he's done either.

And I don't really like IoC that much but maybe that's just because I haven't heard them that much. Maybe I should listen to them a little more and revaluate (don't know the spelling nor if it's really is the word I'm after..) my thoughts about IoC

I heard CC first so that might be why I like them more, actually thanks to DG ^^. And maybe it's because the memories I have listening to CC.

Offline torpor

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/vasoconstricted
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 01:16:22 PM »
i am not too big on either one (even panzer ag), but i enjoy the concept of most of the songs.  tractor is still one of my favourites.  something about the way he makes his point seems to fall short in my opinion.  if i were to choose, IOC would be it.  the production is much more innovative.  panzer ag has great potential, but all of the tracks seem to build up to nothing.  oh well, i dont have a right to be so critical, at least they have albums put out while i am still sitting on 150 + tracks that i havent completed with my own project.
~~   www.myspace.com/marchofidesexdeus  ~~
take a listen so you have valid reasons to make fun of me

Offline EvilCouch

• Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Worlds Worst WebComic
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 01:25:54 PM »
I'd agree that Icon of Coil is a much richer musical experience, but the two projects' directions basically make that by definition. Icon of Coil is designed to have a more melodic sound and pay more attention to the fundamentals of music theory. Combichrist is more stripped down and simplistic, but generally trying to elicit a more visceral response.

"Better" may not be the right word as it's entirely subjective, but IoC is certainly more musical, which generally makes it more pleasing to listen to.

Offline serialthriller

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 04:15:17 AM »
ireally am not a big fan of IOC....but i have every cd (almost) from metropolis records.in the last 10 years to date metropolis has released
over 535 cd's..........new music coming next month from 'meat beat manifesto'.for you IOC fans i have a cd (kinda side project thing)
from a band called  MONOFADER .  sebas komar of IOC.........I am surprised that none of you IOC fans ever mentioned this,the name
of the album is FROST.......the metropoli cd id cat# is MET319.

Offline Drkdzine

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 08:33:49 AM »
I know of Monofader. I was not overly impressed with it. Its just like when (cant think of his name) but the programmer did the producing and mixing for Zombie Girl, I mean i can only about stand so much of her voice and her horrible lyrics. I mean the music and production is awesome.. but other then that.. it lacks.. But like i said.. IOC is by what i hear gonna come back together.. so look for that.. and the next combichrist album i really think is not gonna be that great. I mean I think hes been going down hill since everyone hates you.. WTF was good.. but not as good.. I have not been as please since Joy of Guns, and my fav song is still This is my Rifle.. course my fav movie is Full Metal Jacket...

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 10:00:31 AM »
Yeah, I concur that Monofader was fairly horrible.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Jon Meth

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 06:53:02 AM »
Full metal jacket kicks ass....it's timeless. And did you know...Private Pile is actually the main actor in that series, criminal intent, the detective with some weird mental disorder or tick... Ministry were the first band to use samples from there, and I've been tempted to myself, but there are a zillion other good movies with good sample potential. Combichrist are cool, but their albums do seem to be losing a bit of potency of late. You never know, they might just surprise us all in the next release.
JonO

Offline Drkdzine

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 11:06:52 AM »
what is karma.. and why do i have -3..

I never thought my karma was great.. but jeez..

Offline creepster

• Don't Take It Personally
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
  • mess with the best - die like the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 11:50:37 AM »
what is karma.. and why do i have -3..

I never thought my karma was great.. but jeez..

ever tried the search function?
anyway, for yet another time to explain "karma"

it is a point system to rate users
you can only rate others once you have a certain number of posts submitted (the way you post im pretty sure you'll get to that number soon)
the options to rate users are either "applaud" or "smite", i think that's pretty self explenatory

sooooooo ... if your karma is -3, i guess 3 times a user has smited you
but make that 4
Theory is when you know everything and nothing works.
Practice is when things work, and no one knows why.
Here we combine theory and practice.
Nothing works and no one knows why.

modified, taken from bash.org

Offline koggen

• Bandwidth Donator
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Digital Gunfire
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 02:21:15 PM »

sooooooo ... if your karma is -3, i guess 3 times a user has smited you