Author Topic: -=- MOVIES -=-  (Read 6810 times)

Offline Drkdzine

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
-=- MOVIES -=-
« on: March 04, 2008, 08:49:14 AM »
I am a big time movie freak. Anyone see any that were worth recommending? There is a couple out now I really wanna see. Jumper, Spiderwick, Doomsday, The Bank Job, maybe even Vantage Point. My claim to fame though is horror. I adore zombie and vampire flicks. So anything to suggest is awesome. And I can probably suggest some of my favs to anyone as well. So lets talk movies..

*gets his popcorn, coke, and hidden flask of jack daniels*

-DISCUSS-

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
Re: -=- MOVIES -=-
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 01:33:07 PM »
Gone Baby Gone
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Drkdzine

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 09:40:01 AM »
Ok so like i said... im a movie fanatic.. so i sat down and watched a few this weekend..

Silent Hill
Meet Market
I Am Legend

So my thoughts on Silent Hill. I havent been able to fully sit down and appreciate the games in their gore filled greatness yet but i know the gist. And Silent Hill didnt fail to deliver at all. I like the fact it played on more wierdness then blood. And lemme tell ya the creatures were just that. And my favorite was the Nurses.. they were hot.. HAHAHA!

Meet Market was a comedy. Every now and then i need a break between killings. So this was based on the idea of people hooking up with other people at the Store, or grocery store. And then the love stories that fall out from it. Needless to say they get a lil bit inventive on some of them. Involving, bondage, bisexuality, and even trans. And that was a shocker even for me.. But still funny..  good flick.

I am Legend...... I dont know how to talk about this movie if one hasnt seen it. I mean i think if anyone has seen the previews understands th idea. So in a nutshell its another virus and slight zombie-esque movie. Now right off the bat i liked this movie alot. It gave me alot more then i had really expected. I dont really draw toward will smith movies, but this one was a definite change. Of course i have not seen I-Robot yet either. Maybe that will be next soon. But in a short thought, if you liked 28 days later you will like this movie. I mean if i had to put the smallest way to compare it to another movie it be this.. This movie in short is 28 days later (americanized).. i mean 28 days was London, I am Legend is New York. Its funny all these disease and virus filled movies coming out.. The movie industry is playing on fears of the feasible it seems more likely.. and anything that makes me go huh.. thats a good movie..

Ill tell ya more as i see more.. anyone wanna share be my guest.. ;)

Offline Jib

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 02:59:15 PM »
When I heard about I am Legend I noticed it was a book written by Richard Matheson.  I bought the book and read it.  It was great I really enjoyed it and was excited to see a movie about it even if Will Smith is in it.  That was until I watched the trailers.  I am surprised they were even able to use the same name.  The book is about vampires and has a great thought provoking ending.  Well anyway you should read the book.  It is a fairly short story only about 150 pages.

Offline swampfeotus

• Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
    • http://www.swampfeotus.org
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 04:11:30 PM »
if you go to movies expecting to see what you read in a book then just dont go anymore. its not done.

The movie was pretty good if your not trying to compare it to the book.

Offline Ariel

• Digital Grunt
  • Chocolate Milk is my hero <3
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 04:32:08 PM »
i just saw 10,000 BC that was amazing OMG. what was also really god was um The Labrynith with David Bowie.
I sleep with my bed every night.

OH YEAH!

Offline Drkdzine

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 06:43:28 AM »
Based off a book you say? I still say the movie looked like they took the script of 28 days later and americanized it. So the original had vampires in it. Hmm, i think i will pick up that book. Love them vamp stories.. :) And to the person that mentioned Labyrinth, that is a superb movie, even though it is dated now. And i think Jim Henson Studios did that movie. However I think david bowie is great, I didnt care for some of the overly retarded songs in it. I still to this day go into a raving fit whenever i hear that gay "dance baby dance" song. If you want MY opinion, one of david bowies better films still I think, i know there are a few but IMO is "The Hunger" for apparent reasons. If you have not seen the hunger. and you like old suspenseful horror movies, watch it. Though dated as well, but I really think the movie still stands to the time. As far as fantasy movies compared to Labyrinth, my movie to knock that one out of the park would be Legend. And yes Im talking about the movie with good and evil, and Tim Curry with the baddest ass looking devil costume ever known to man.  Dude had some BIG ass horns.

My two cents.. keep the conversing up.. its awesome..

lata.

Almost forgot. truly 10,000 BC looks horrible in my opinion. As I have alot of opinions. But the idea of the movie just looks dry and boring. I havent really read into the plot. But someone is trying to bank on the idea of looking into the past like 300, which that movie was amazing.. but the previews and trailers have nothing to make me want to see this movie at all. Maybe i get bored enough.. i doubt it.. rather go find me a good 80's slasher film..
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 06:49:03 AM by Drkdzine »

Offline creepster

• Don't Take It Personally
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
  • mess with the best - die like the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 09:38:57 AM »
not only is "i am legend" based on a book but it is also a remake of an already existing movie "omega man"
Theory is when you know everything and nothing works.
Practice is when things work, and no one knows why.
Here we combine theory and practice.
Nothing works and no one knows why.

modified, taken from bash.org

Offline Drkdzine

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 11:40:32 AM »
I knew i liked creepy.. awesome.. im gonna look into that tonight..

Offline creepster

• Don't Take It Personally
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
  • mess with the best - die like the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 02:10:08 PM »
im a movie addict as well but limited to certain genres, so my pool of knowledge is more like a monoculture than a well developed eco-system
errrgh

so i prefer horror movies as well, but none of the american made ones (most of all when it came to re-makes of asian originals) impressed me at all
there's a list of must-see's like the ring (of course), audition, ichi the killer, battle royale, men behind the sun, kairo, versus, ...
i came into this whole field due to my exex who's more than knowlegable to the field and would be able to add to this list
we started out with the italian movies directed by men such as licio fulci and dario argento or others, examples are: cannibal ferox, cannibal holocaust, last house on the left and many more i cant remember off hand but am able to list from my vhs collection at home

there's also this whole movie collection from guinea pig movies which are apparently very gory but i havent seen (yet), like mermaid in a manhole, flower of flesh and blood, the devil's experiment, and more

recent movies which were ok are: 1408, the number 23 (although getting a little too paranoid and who taught those guys math?), sawI (sawII already tended to address only main stream audience), the host

the WORST horror movies ever are the american remakes of asian movies (like the grudge or the ring or even pulse) and dont even get me started with hostel

there's also other movies i could recommend not belonging to this particular genre but impressed me such as pan's labyrinth, a scanner darkly, night watch/day watch (russian productions) ...
Theory is when you know everything and nothing works.
Practice is when things work, and no one knows why.
Here we combine theory and practice.
Nothing works and no one knows why.

modified, taken from bash.org

Offline Drkdzine

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 06:33:35 AM »
Well Creepy,

Once again we both hit on a note that agrees on many things. I too hate the ever ending ordeal of remakes on the market made by originally the japanese, or asians, or chinese or whatever. And your list names some of my all time favorites. 2 being indeed Audition and Ichi the Killer. And I so do love Audition. One of the first movies after watching it really made me sit back and go, DAMN.. wtf? I mean there is stuff in that movie that made me just go wtf is that? But Takishi Miike is a damn genius and has a mind that is just a dark siv of horror that most people especially american horror writers would just dream to have. But as you say some of the remakes are enough to make me puke. Such as the Ring, The Eye, Grudge, and so on. Hostel was a remake wasnt it? Ill be honest i still enjoy some of the remakes but the americans never get it right. Its just like now there is a film called REC im working on trying to get a copy but evidentaly its not readily avail as much as id like. But seeing as it hit such a cult following, the US movie industries are already in the makes of re-making it. Its in production now, and that movie just came out in 2007. It was made in spain, and it was never dubbed over for english. A great horror film that i like that is completely subtitled that is french, is High Tension. And personally I think it just wouldnt be as good if it was english.

I have yet to see pans labyrinth. Would you suggest this to me? I mean is it really worth watching? Ive gone back and forth on this. And just last week I had a copy of a scanner darkly, and i know it was gonna be done the entire movie in like vector artwork, but I just dont know if i could sit through the entire movie like that. Is the plot good enough, storyline to keep my interest in it? Let me know please.. Ill have to get it again then.

Couple good ones I think youd might like. Not all horror but still pretty strange on the side of different and such. Oldboy, Battlefield Baseball.. and the classics still hit me sometimes better then the new movies today. I was watching a really old movie the other week. Its called Asylum, and its just disturbing.. I need to finnish it.. the copy i got ended up having bad tape. I think its a late 70's film or such. And speaking of disturbing i still love hitchcock, but a really kind of film that was way beyond its time, but its still dated is "the last house on the left" .. let me know you seen that one creepy..

and please by all means.. make some suggestions to me.. I love finding out about new stuff if i dont already know about it.....

But also dont get me wrong some re-makes really are done right. But most are really horrible attempts.. AGREED....

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 06:39:34 AM by Drkdzine »

Offline Drkdzine

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 07:28:48 AM »
So on another note I definitely got a few more movies in this weekend. Among the idea of Tornados ripping up the center of down town only 20 mins down the road from me, I was watching movies so  had no idea. It was a lil eerie, but luckily I made it through with no problems. Cant say much for our GA dome and a couple other buildings like the CNN building and what not.. But more movie talk less talk about natural disasters.. :)

Jumper
Scarface
I. Robot

First off, as I always say Im not gonna ruin a movie for anyone that is really recent. Now on older movies i take the idea and thought that most have seen it or what not but if its not within the last like 5 or 6 months, I feel I can be a lil more deep into my thoughts and or description. If not I apologize and I will be mistaken, but ill do my best to never ruin a film for anyone being ever how old it is.

Jumper - You know I had expected alot more from this film. The idea for this seemed really unique and maybe just a breath of fresh air for the movie industry. And playing on the idea of teleportation is always a thing that intrigues people I think? Well my thoughts go like this. First off the idea on the movie was good, but whomever wrote the script I mean just seems to give the feeling he was majorily rushed or he just wanted to make a quick bang for a buck. The storyline is quickly shoved in your face for you to understand wether you like it or not. And Characters and their background or importance if arent easily figured out seemingly are just about as pointless as the movie is in a whole. And to add to this entire pile, they lead off the enemy or hunter as you may with the idea of using religion as the point of the need to kill and destroy. And then the hoping factor i guess the director was hoping was that samuel jackson being in the movie would actually help or "save" this movie. Needless to say i think Snakes on a Mother_Fn plane was better then this. This movie had me looking at my watch and going damn.. i wasted 2 hours on this.. I mean its a movie, but its not a good movie.. you have time to watch.. watch it. otherwise read a book, take a nap, do anything..

Scarface - As some of you go damn. Yeah I have had this movie for damn near probably 3 or 4 years and never sat down and watched it And on Sat night i finally did. And as i was not in the least bit surprised. The movie was amazing. I mean even though it is dated. This movie delivers exactly what I thought it would Al Pacino in this movie was amazing, and i didnt know Michelle Pfeifer was in it till i watched it. And she was looking good. Only thing kinda bad was the choice of music back then. WOW, talk about dated.. But the infamous line was none the less as memroable as many times i have heard it and seen it on posters and in numerous things sampled.. 'Say Hello to my Little Friend!" ... great movie..

I. Robot - I actually ended up wanting to see this after i say I am Legend. And seeing Will Smith can play some decent roles and act pretty good to boot as well. Secondly it was being played on basic cable to on like fox or something i think? So i decided to watch it. And this movie was a trip. I think the biggest thing is still the idea by the date of the movie they think 2035 is going to be by then the world will be totally using robots. And very well it might be, i mean look we already have Roombas and other various robot things. Its feasible, but I dont see it happening. Now then im gonna greatly assume that obvious more then not the robots were all CGI. And having that be said it was amazingly done. And not to mention Im not sure id want that kind of robot around me either they were damn freaky looking with the face and eyes and what not. One of the funniest things in the movie was watching as the car was parked at the USR company and it went into like a car cd changer thing like it was a CD in a player.. not a bad thought for getting rid of the problem of parking, but there again never feasible but cool. The movie and plot was very good i thought. The idea made you think more about the possibility of artificial intelligence and what if? I mean why not? So I really did enjoy this movie. And if you havent seen it yet.. this is one to watch.

So yeah maybe i do watch to many movies. But I enjoy them and whats better to do then cuddle with someone and watch a flick. Especially some gore so she can get all scared and hold ya tight.. or hell maybe i will get scared and pull her tight.. but none the less. I like to just ramble.. so lets discuss.. anythoughts?

Welcome monday.. and good morning all.. ;)

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 01:12:32 PM »
I don't know how you could watch Cannibal Holocaust, Creeps. I've never seen it and I know damn well I never want to.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Drkdzine

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 12:43:06 PM »
Another weekend gone and this weekend was as is almost every weekend is never long enough. Funny enough i didnt even remember it was Easter until like the day we woke up. Hanging out with your band mates and just being stupid and watching movies just being plain stupid. Hope everyone had a great weekend Easter influenced or not. Mine was not have you know but the movies this week were rather amusing. And as you would know a couple years old too.

The Dead Hate the Living
THX 1138
The Life of Brian

The Dead Hate the Living - This is one of those zombie movies you watch and either love or you either hate there is no middle. This is by all means a B-flick, meaning its right above like amateur moving making. I dont recall when this movie was made. But this is just a great movie for Zombie lovers. To be totally honest if anyone has seen it. I personally found it hilarious. I mean if you come from watching only zombie flicks like Dawn of the dead or resident evil or 28 days later or something you will not find the appreciation of this movie. But the cheese factor in this is very high. Not to mention the music in it is well definitely something you have to have an aquired taste for. And for anyone that you may know the old punk band Penis Flytrap is the soundtrack music for this movie. So the movie goes like this..... or least an idea of it. Movie runs around this plot. Group of ill guess ill say like college kids are using this old morgue or maybe its a hospital? Never really did catch that answer. And get this what are they doing? They are shooting a horror movie and a zombie movie at that in this place. The director and the special effects guys are the extreme to zombie geekers on the movies and past flicks of that genre so they are in so many words trying to become the next Romero or next best director in the zombie scene. As they are doing this they are looking around the place and look for stuff to make the movie look better or more realistic. They come across this I would guess looks like a standing up right coffin and find a dead body in it. The director comes up with the idea to use it in his movie and seemingly get the following of the crew and as they are using the body and put the body back in the coffin and one of the kids is doing his script "badly mind you" the box starts making noises and smokes.. and at this time we know something is more then what it seems here at this lame attempt at a zombie film..... bad effects, cheesy body parts and blood, but just a fun flick to watch with friends.. and a personal fav of mine.. :)

THX 1138 - This was a real first for me. This is as I am told was George Lucas's first film. So this would be PRE-Starwars. Ill be the first one to admit. I am not a big geek on star wars, and to make a real sin in the eyes of the of the star wars fanatics, I have not even seen the episodes I - III since the classics. Anyway, aside all this, I have to say Lucas made one hell of a strange and very artistic film in this piece. Not Surprisingly his story here is also based on science fiction and futuristic ideas. All in all, the movie itself even after watching it, is a film you will have to watch a few times I think to maybe even catch a remote idea of what Lucas was going for. I think the most amazing thing about it was the use of so lil color and the superb amount of sound editing. The idea of being boxed in a almost caged off society and then in only tones of whites and grays it seemed and then to have practically big brother watching you always was a very eerie feeling. Just the idea of being in a room which seemed to have no walls and really nothing in it. And was just white. The movie was just a complete well in short.. mind flux.. :) But none the less I really did like it, I recommend it to the people that can stand to watch a film thats not all action and really is more art then film in its making. Its a beautiful piece. And the most awesome thing on this DVD it has a feature called theatre of sounds. And its the complete film without script or speech. Even though I didnt get to watch it as such I can only imagine it would be amazing. And also a true samplers dream come true.

The Life of Brian - We actually watched this movie Easter morning. Which in so many ways was not appropriate but damn funny. Bout as funny as yelling at the two Mormon boys coming to the door to spread their word of love and what not. If you didnt know already this is a Monty Python movie. And if you dont like Monty Python I really think thats a person that needs to laugh more. The story plot goes along the time of when Jesus was born and the people of Judeah are constantly trying to find someone to follow as their messiah. Through wierd circumstances and such Brian is thought of as a messiah and is started to be praised as one. Put Monty Pythons twist on this movie and its so blasphemous its funny. Anyone who is anyone knows the song.. "Always look at the bright side of life.. include the whistling here".... And whats more funny then a bunch of people being crucified on a cross by the romans singing that? Its funny and its a classic.. if u havent seen it.. I recommend it... but if you have highly religious friends.. have them watch it with ya.. heheh

Well we having fun? Doesnt anyone else watch movies? Maybe there is a movie someone would suggest to me? Love to know some new ones..

-DISCUSS-