Author Topic: Request system  (Read 7825 times)

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
Request system
« on: June 20, 2008, 01:59:56 PM »
Just imagine, hypothetically, that you could enter requests to DG. Once a day, a show would play that would be comprised of some random songs + some of the requests that had been entered. Imagine if I trashed the 'kudos' system and integrated it with the forum karma system and used peoples karma to determine their request priority.

How do you feel after imagining that?
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline creepster

• Don't Take It Personally
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
  • mess with the best - die like the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Request system
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 02:38:07 PM »
it would be kind of unfair to tie the requests priority to the karma, since the *old* users generally have a lot of karma already and would be able to pick the majority of songs

also, being an *old* user and having the needed amounts of posts to give karma or smite, we can smite people just in spite or for personal grudges so they cannot request songs

i think the kudos system doesnt really work, because .. who really looks at the reviews and finds the time to give kudos?

Theory is when you know everything and nothing works.
Practice is when things work, and no one knows why.
Here we combine theory and practice.
Nothing works and no one knows why.

modified, taken from bash.org

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 02:42:09 PM »
it would be kind of unfair to tie the requests priority to the karma, since the *old* users generally have a lot of karma already and would be able to pick the majority of songs

also, being an *old* user and having the needed amounts of posts to give karma or smite, we can smite people just in spite or for personal grudges so they cannot request songs

i think the kudos system doesnt really work, because .. who really looks at the reviews and finds the time to give kudos?

Well, hopefully some people look at the reviews =p

Ignore the karma bit then.. what about the system in general?
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline swampfeotus

• Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
    • http://www.swampfeotus.org
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
hmmm, i like karma more, i hate reviewing albums. either way, no matter how you do it someone will think its unfair. just looking forward to some kind of request system.

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 03:02:38 PM »
What I am thinking is limiting each user to 1 request per day, then taking a portion of those requests (assuming there are a lot) and putting them into a 1-2 hour playlist with some requirements (e.g. no more than 1 song per artist, stuff like that)

I was thinking of using karma as a way of prioritizing just in the sense that, if you have 20 karma and someone else has 0, maybe you have a 50% chance over them of getting your song added.. I don't know. I haven't figured out the specifics yet.

While the show is going on, I could have a ticker on DG saying 'Now playing Hocico - Spit as an Offense requested by swampfeotus'
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline creepster

• Don't Take It Personally
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
  • mess with the best - die like the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 03:40:38 PM »
hey, im not against tieing it to the karma system
i was just playing devil's advocate

because i surely would like the ones with *good* karma to be in charge, at least i know what im getting
because if i already smite a person, i surely dont want to listen to their choice of music
q=
Theory is when you know everything and nothing works.
Practice is when things work, and no one knows why.
Here we combine theory and practice.
Nothing works and no one knows why.

modified, taken from bash.org

Offline DeadSeraph

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
    • my VF profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 05:17:45 PM »
This is a great idea! In fact I was just contemplating this today and thinking to myself "how awesome would it be if I could request music on Digitalgunfire.com!?".

While I'm not as keen on the notion of song requests being prioritized by karma (given the fact I'm a newb), I honestly don't think I'd mind anyways since just having the option to make a song request would be great in the first place.

cheers!
"Gay colored house. Fluff is aroused." - And one

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 12:27:11 PM »
Well, it is coming along pretty good. Right now, the way it works is as follows:

There can only be 10 requests in the queue at any one time. If there are already 10, nobody can submit a request until one clears.
At random points throughout the day, requests are pulled from the queue and played. When they play, it will say on the front page of DG 'Now playing Foo by Bar - Requested by [username]'
You can currently only submit one request per day

Due to US DMCA regulations, there will not be any notification of when your request will play - it will just be at some point in the next few hours.

I'm still tweaking it, but I have almost all the web coding done, I just have to finish the backend request queueing system.

Oh and btw, right now karma has no bearing on it.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline swampfeotus

• Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
    • http://www.swampfeotus.org
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 07:01:40 PM »
damn im like 2nd in karma too, behind gramps

Offline koggen

• Bandwidth Donator
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Digital Gunfire
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 01:35:34 PM »
damn im like 2nd in karma too, behind gramps

Hehe ... :P

Offline dfY53mOz

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 05:24:02 AM »
Wow, the request system is great! It really makes listening to DG even better. Just one thing. I know it is supposed to be like that, but it would be very nice to have an indication of when your requested song might play (not necessarily in time, it could be a queue number). I is very sad to crave for it for a couple of hours, than go for a toilet brake to find that half (if not all) of it has already gone through :)

Of course, another vote after some 3-4 hours would be awesome (since you occasionally hear the same song being played at least twice some 4 hrs without requests anyway) :)

Have a nice day :)

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 08:39:30 AM »
It would be nice to show the playtime, but unfortunately I can't do it.

I'm contemplating allowing multiple requests per day.. maybe one every 8 hours. I'll let you know!
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline dfY53mOz

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 10:33:58 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

In terms of multiple requests, I (and I would assume quite a few others) am listening to dg during my work day. I really appreciate you considering multiple requests. Perhaps it would be better to, instead of having a sort of counter from last request made, allow, say, 2 requests per registered user (or that joint with IP?) per day? That way people like me could get away with 2 songs they wanted to hear while in the office :)

But then again, please do as you see fit. I am glad to be allowed to hear at least one song during my day :)

Thanks for your efforts!

Offline xeno

• Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 11:38:01 AM »
A request system would be nice (and while you're at it, a "what is playing now? bot) (all this on freenode ofc)

One way to choose would be to prioritize the requests from the one with the longest time since last executed request.

Basing it on forum karma is a bad idea, since then I couldn't act like a total ass on the forum and still get to request songs... :)

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 01:00:03 PM »
Hate to break it to you Xeno, but the request system has been live for weeks!
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

anything