Author Topic: What do you use?  (Read 30600 times)

Offline Make Tea Not War

• Cybernetic Grunt
  • Nipples are made 2 be pierced!
    • View Profile
Re: What do you use?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 09:09:12 AM »
What the hell are u guys talking about? %S
I was struck by lighting
Walkin' down the street
I was hit by something last night in my sleep
It's a dead man's party
Who could ask for more
Everybody's comin', leave your body at the door

Offline swampfeotus

• Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
    • http://www.swampfeotus.org
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 03:24:01 PM »
its like garage band, with more buttons

Offline xeno

• Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 05:03:43 PM »
I don't count myself as a music maker, as I rarely touch it (for various reasons), and I have deleted the few tunes I've made since they would be rewarded with forced mental care if they should leak...  Anyway, I fell into the gear trap, so got Cubase,Reason,Live, NI Komplete (a bunch of NI synths), Korg Legacy and a couple of others...

anyway, what I reckon so far is:
- it's easy to spend a lot of time on sound, without having a melody to begin with. A nice experiment would be to just use general midi, and when you have a good song there, start using the fancy equipment to make it sound right. If you think about it, all really good songs actually sounds pretty decent in GM too, while the minute of swoshing sound from the Pro53 preset that I worked on for half an hour wouldn't sound like anything if rendered with a regular piano.
- with loop based sequencers, it's way too easy to focus too much on loops

As for sequencers, I guess Live is the big thing nowadays, but for beginners that wanna make trancy instrumental stuff, Reason might be the best choice, and it's good for staying focused too... Cubase is pretty good for a straight sequencer, too bad it has that dongle shit. Haven't used Live enough to actually say anything about it, except that everyone seems to love it.

Also, don't rule out hardware, nothing like hands on. Just make sure it really is hands-on (like a.e. the K-Station). Had a Micron, and allthough the synth engine was brilliant, navigating through all the functionality with a couple of knobs and a small LCD was just too awkward to be useable).

Anyway, that was my 50 cent. Given my limited experience, don't take it too seriously...

Offline Jon Meth

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 03:46:20 AM »
Dude...Vanguard is the bollox. I use it for alot of shit. Korg legacy is pretty cool, cool pc u have..

I've got too much software to list, but I have NI komplete 3 and 4, which I use religously...and by that I dont mean I make gospel Industrial..
JonO

Offline Jon Meth

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 04:01:07 AM »
Someone mentioned Gargeband. Fuck I hate that place. The people who always slate you the most have the shittest music themselves if they write at all, and the people voting have no fukin knowledge of industrial at all. I once made it to no. 7 in industrial with a half assed attempt at a song,(woop-di-doo) but it was still cool...and someone called it disco and was knocked back to 14th. That was was priceless. Nothing ever comes from that site except exposure, but it kinda feels as tho you're exposing your privates to child molesters.
Who needs it.....the top band there isn't even nearly industrial and bearly electronic, just very cock rock and American. They aren't bad at all...but not industrial.
Runt, rant, rave...
JonO

Offline Splice

• Digital Grunt
  • That's gonna leave a mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 06:19:21 PM »
I use ACID Pro 6
and the following soft synths:
Vanguard
Alpha
Blue
Moog Modular V
Predator
Pro-53

ACID is glitchy, so I'm working on learning Ableton, which I have as well.  I love Vanguard, though it seems like everyone is using it.  The Moog is badass, but often crashes my very crappy computer.  The Pro 53 is another one of my favorites, because it makes a very old school sound... Blue makes good pads and bass.
The Predator is one I just got... it's pretty complicated and I'm still learning how to use a Mod Synth...

Offline Jon Meth

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 01:47:00 AM »
Dude, I use all of those except for alpha...who makes that? Pro 53..hell yes...got some really nice leads in there. Vanguard is quite comonly used but that shouldn't put you off..you can tweak its titties til you come up with your own killer sounds, and it is pretty close to a Virus, as well as the Papen collection. All moog stuff is creamy too...

here's an example of some of the cool arps, gators and sequences in vanguard and predator...

http://vampirefreaks.com/HateWeek
JonO

Offline Splice

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 05:56:57 PM »
LinPlug makes Alpha, I believe.  The Pirate Bay is a beautiful thing, lol.  You do have a major point about Vanguard... I just wish they made more synths that kicked that much ass.  I have another Mod Synth I forgot to list... it's a weird one but I recommend everyone check out.  It's the only synth I know that you can operate by waving your mouse around.  It's called Rollosonic, and even though I haven't used it yet, I love fucking around with it.

Offline Jon Meth

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 01:34:40 AM »
Yeah, the only problem with ripping synths progs. and getting to use them in music is that you have to buy them if you want to release your music, otherwise they'l nail you to the wall. I really wish I'd stuck to a few synths and engeneered the sounds I wanted from them. Now that I have over 40 songs under the belt (so to speak)..I dont keep them in my underpants) there are songs that can't be changed so I'm looking at a hefty sum. Try before buy is all good ...it's just when u have to buy that hurts.
JonO

Offline Splice

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 06:01:06 PM »
That is definitely good to know... Looks like I've got some *more* money to raise...

Offline Jon Meth

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 09:20:31 AM »
Story of my life man. Lucky for me the other half of my band, Hate Week, is in Uni doing music and he can get a massive discount on audio progs.
JonO

Offline digitallyfortified

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 12:55:43 PM »
Some of the guys that frequent this board that actually create music - what do you use to create it? I've been contemplating getting back into the creation side of music after a 10 year hiatus.. looking for some suggestions.

Reason - hands down the most user friendly sequencer out there. Any parameter can be automated, and any cabling option is available. The idea is that its a virtual representation of a full blown studio with drum machines, synths, samplers, sequencers etc etc... You can have as many devices as your computer can handle and as many mixers as you need.

Rewire Reason into Cubase for laying down guitar/bass/vocals etc and you're laughing... you don't need anything else.

Offline swampfeotus

• Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
    • http://www.swampfeotus.org
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2008, 03:19:42 PM »
Some of the guys that frequent this board that actually create music - what do you use to create it? I've been contemplating getting back into the creation side of music after a 10 year hiatus.. looking for some suggestions.

Reason - hands down the most user friendly sequencer out there. Any parameter can be automated, and any cabling option is available. The idea is that its a virtual representation of a full blown studio with drum machines, synths, samplers, sequencers etc etc... You can have as many devices as your computer can handle and as many mixers as you need.

Rewire Reason into Cubase for laying down guitar/bass/vocals etc and you're laughing... you don't need anything else.

talent helps too.

Offline digitallyfortified

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 07:40:16 AM »

talent helps too.

LOL yes it helps... but it's not necessary ;)

Offline Jon Meth

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 06:58:41 AM »
The Treason that is reason.

Yeah man...reason is awesome for making a template of music. These days they have some pretty cool refils, but generaly they suck. I like reason coz u dont need an external audiocard for creation. I use pro tools as a main prog and that has to stay as a desktop. I installed reason on my work PC and have been making little cheezy EBM and Trance tunes for over a year while 'working'.
I always use it for the drums, tho you need to pull them out when u want to do propper mixing and mastering...this can get time consuming and tedious.
JonO

anything