Author Topic: Where did you start?  (Read 14597 times)

Offline Dixie

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
Where did you start?
« on: June 21, 2008, 05:52:32 PM »
Well I am interesting in starting to develop my own EBM/industrial music on my computer and was wondering where you people think I should start with this, etc.

Thanks. =]

Offline Daemonikal

• Digital Gunfire Staff
  • Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you start?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 06:29:23 PM »
start with learning the tools you have at your disposal ;)
Do you have a sequencer that you know and love? Synths? Pretty vague question, but if you really want to make the music, you'll find a way :)

I tend to use cubase/reason a lot for writing new music, but I know it's not for everyone.... Either way to you need some form of midi sequencer and a recorder....

If you have questions, feel free to message me...

Offline Klebrchelp

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 02:56:23 PM »
Reason 4 (since it was given to me)

Novation Remote SL
http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_control/remote_sl/

Offline torpor

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/vasoconstricted
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:58:48 PM »
people in "the scene" always scoff at me for this, but i am not ashamed at all...

i proudly use FL Studio 8, started on FL studio 4.  i use my soundcard software to record vox (none of which have made it into any of my songs), i also use my soundcard software to get samples from movies and news clips.  i have a behringer midi/usb keyboard that i use to do rough melodies on and some live recording (though i mostly sequence).  i picked up my mic for about 40 bucks at radio shack.  my pc is definately the hub of my music making tools - it set me back about 1700 dollars.  i also have a yamaha dx200 that i rarely use due to compatibility issues.  in most vsti plugins you can find the sounds you need by tweaking the synths a bit.  the soundcard i use is a creative sound blaster x-fi with a nice external I/O device on it.

my roommate is never home, so i can usually have blaring repetitive sounds going on at most times.  justin from viscera drip recommends putting tracks together at a low volume though.

if you want to see what you can make with FL Studio 8, click on the tiny link in my signature and you will see what i made from it...

best of luck
~~   www.myspace.com/marchofidesexdeus  ~~
take a listen so you have valid reasons to make fun of me

Offline Jon Meth

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 01:44:32 AM »
Hey..that was pretty cool. i must say..Ive never heard of FL studiio. The outcome all depends on ones ability to piece together music....and yes  loads of mean ass fukin plugins.....I want moooooooooore.
JonO

Offline Essence of Night

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 09:53:31 AM »
I started using FL Studio and later I've got Reason and large number of VSTs.

It all goes easy if you really love music!

You can check out our work:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ts4qjs

Offline Jon Meth

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 02:45:31 AM »
...Im downloading it now...
JonO

Offline The_MothChild

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 04:21:10 PM »
FL rocks. Fuck the haters.
The MothChild

Offline Assistant52

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 04:25:48 PM »
I use cubase but it frustrates the crap out of me most times.
When it all comes together and acts like its supposed to its great though.

And tbh (everyones going to laugh at me now) i think the best cheap piece of equipment you can get your hands on is a microkorg.

Man i have some fun with that little thing!!!

lie down in the park and watch the satellites

Offline ErilaZ

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
    • www.erilaz.net
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 05:09:12 AM »
people in "the scene" always scoff at me for this, but i am not ashamed at all...

I'm not either, and I've used FL Studio from version 3 as my main sequencer. :) It has a quick learning curve, especially if one is familiar with Trackers and it comes with a load of good quality VSTs / VSTis. From version 8 it even has a Synth creation software built-in (FL SynthMaker). It has a different (more tracker-like) approach to sequencing than it's bigger competitors like Logic, ProTools and Cubase, but in most areas it is at least just as good as the more widely used competitors.

In my mind, the biggest minus in FL Studio compared to its competitors is in audio handling. Then again, it might just be I can't use my software properly, but so far I haven't been able to find out a way how to mix songs with only bounced wavs. You know, two dozen song-length wavs on the score, and then just add the reverbs,  dynamics, etc. FL Studio seems to load wavs in RAM memory even if you have the tick box "keep on disk" on, which in this case of course results in extreme slowness of the program (unless you're running it on Vista 4GB RAM system -- of that I don't know).

Anyway, my recommendation is: go with FL Studio if you're a beginner. You can download a free demo version, and it really costs little to buy a full licence that includes lifetime updates! The price-quality ratio is just awesome.

Offline klaus2.0

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 08:00:14 PM »
when i first started all i had was my computer, a mic and a copy of Acid Pro 4.0 and a demo of Fruity Loops, it basically got my foot into the door. Since then I've moved up to buy a full key keyboard, Abelton Live, Acid Music Studio 7, and Pro-Tools

Offline Skint

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 08:32:46 AM »
What is FL? Fruity Loops?

Offline Psykkle

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Psykkle on Myspace
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 10:25:11 PM »
I started making music when I was 14 on a laptop and thats it. How you make music depends on what your writing, and what you have to work with. The great thing about electronic music is you dont need alot to create something. You can tweak almost anything to sound a certain way.

I use FL as my DAW and my sequencer. Have been since I started. Nothing will ever take FL away from me haha. I also use Abelton Live 7.

I use alot of VST synths from companies like Native Instruments, Cakewalk, reFx, etc. I also have a Roland MC-303, a Moog Little Phatty, microKORG, and I use things like the Nord Lead 2, Nord Modular, Roland MC 808, depending if I'm at my studio or not. But again, its what you do with what you have, not how much you have.

A midi controller or trigger controller is almost a neccesity. I use an M-Audio Axiom 61 and an Akai MPD32. Both great controllers.

The quality of your sound is also a big thing when writing music. Making sure that all your sounds come through nice and clear, with as little mud as possible so a set of referance monitors is a good idea. I'm currently using a set of M-Audio BX8a Deluxe monitors.

Check out my stuff at http://www.myspace.com/psykkle and download my ep FOR FREE!!!!

Offline DigitalTiger

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 02:32:58 AM »
Well I am interesting in starting to develop my own EBM/industrial music on my computer and was wondering where you people think I should start with this, etc.

Thanks. =]

I think this is often overlooked but the best thing you can do is:

*LEARN HOW TO PLAY AN INSTRUMENT* (preferrably a keyboard).

If you get serious, get into "Music theory" (at school) and you're well on your way to making great songs.

Once you know how to play an instrument, then go down to a guitar center or someplace like that and listen to all the software they have available for sale. If you can get it demoed even better!

Offline Psykkle

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Psykkle on Myspace
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 08:13:43 PM »

Thanks. =]

I think this is often overlooked but the best thing you can do is:

*LEARN HOW TO PLAY AN INSTRUMENT* (preferrably a keyboard).

If you get serious, get into "Music theory" (at school) and you're well on your way to making great songs.

Once you know how to play an instrument, then go down to a guitar center or someplace like that and listen to all the software they have available for sale. If you can get it demoed even better!

I dont really think that matters. There are alot of artists (especially in the indsutrial scene), that dont have any music theory experience and are all self taught. Take Seb Komor from Icon of Coil and Zombie Girl for instance.