Author Topic: The Drummer question  (Read 8515 times)

Offline xpraxis

• Digital Grunt
  • Bonk Bonk Bonk!
    • View Profile
The Drummer question
« on: June 25, 2008, 01:47:43 PM »
Regardless of what's on the studio recording, some bands tour with a drummer, some bands tour with a laptop+sequencer....

Does anyone 'round here design songs with a tour drummer in mind, or do rearrangements?

Otherwise, anyone have an opinion on whether some bands should bring live drums instead of / additionally to / laptop+sequencer?
Nord Lead 3, Alesis QS8.1, F-200, BTB5, Studio-8, PODs, 1202VLZ+EMU 1212m, FL Studio, Renoise, Sonar, Audition, and a big whiteboard.

Offline creepster

• Don't Take It Personally
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
  • mess with the best - die like the rest
    • View Profile
Re: The Drummer question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 03:08:19 PM »
im not sure if this answers your answer specifically (most of all since im not making music) but ...

as an audience i was always feeling *funny* about industrial/ebm bands bringing in a classical band set (drums, guitars, bass, sytnh, etc and whatnot) rather than just a synth, dat recorder or similar and the singer
because to me this kind of music is mainly synthetically created anyway, hence no need to all the sudden put up a band when it wa maybe just a one single person project

dive was excellent that way, he has everything coming from tape and just brought an additional megaphone (8
Theory is when you know everything and nothing works.
Practice is when things work, and no one knows why.
Here we combine theory and practice.
Nothing works and no one knows why.

modified, taken from bash.org

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 03:37:04 PM »
I think it depends on the style of the music a bit.. I'm not too big on having a drummer just because it's an actual drummer. However, if the live drummer adds something to the music, I think it's cool.

That being said, I can't think of many bands that would benefit from it, unless they are more 'rockish'.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Daemonikal

• Digital Gunfire Staff
  • Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 06:25:22 PM »
I've always found that our music gets a lot more of a rock feel with a live drummer, and while i like the higher energy aspect of it, i think in general it takes away from the real sound of our band, the way we wrote and recorded the music... I think more than anything it would probably depend more on the crowd that you're playing to.... if they are more of a rock/punk crowd, live drums would be great to have... if it's a more industrial/EBM crowd, you probably don't want them... unless of course you're Combichrist, then go fucking nuts just banging on everything! :)

Just my 2c....

Peace,
Daniel / FMK
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 01:16:38 PM by Daemonikal »

Offline swampfeotus

• Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
    • http://www.swampfeotus.org
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 03:17:42 AM »
combi needs like 3 live drummers beating the shit out of crap ducttaped to steel girders.

Offline Jon Meth

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 01:51:52 AM »
Ja. depends on the style of music. KMFDM pull off a live drummer damn well...in addition to having various drum samples...but they are more rocklike and pretty far from EBM. I think tho that if you have guitar samples in your songs...having a live guitarist is damn essential. Its all about the live product these days. Any monkey can use Recycle and chop to shit guitar....speaking as a member of the ape family...I do...and play guitar too, but dont have the skills to play complex machine timed riffs and sing well live....so I search for another guitar monkey.
JonO

Offline DeadSeraph

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
    • my VF profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 02:42:16 PM »
I think it depends on the band. Skinny Puppy has done an excellent job of utilizing a live band in the past for example. But for a band like say.... Syrian, what would be the point?

Personally if the music warrants it, and you can pull it off without changing your sound too much, I say go for it. I'm the opposite of creepster in the sense that I really enjoy watching a live band. This is probably because I'm a musician and I like to watch other musicians play. What kind of chord progressions the guitarist uses, how the drummer plays, just musical technique in general. Same goes for key's really. You don't really get that musical intimacy with someone standing behind a laptop.

To each his/her own I guess :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:20:45 PM by DeadSeraph »
"Gay colored house. Fluff is aroused." - And one

Offline Daemonikal

• Digital Gunfire Staff
  • Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 03:16:32 PM »
I agree completely, DeadSeraph...
I'm not usually a big metal fan, but I LOVE watching Lamb of God simply because the drummer is amazing! Same goes for any band that I've seen live I guess, if the band is high energy and makes it entertaining to watch, who cares what instruments they have on stage. Hell, put on a wicked show with a kazoo and if you can keep me entertained, more power to ya!

Offline Jon Meth

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 04:08:46 AM »
...Dude, right now I'm thinking about putting a kazoo in one of my songs...I'm thinking 10 min solo....yes yes. It's got to be beter than a theramin, right.?
JonO

Offline DeadSeraph

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
    • my VF profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 11:37:21 AM »
...Dude, right now I'm thinking about putting a kazoo in one of my songs...I'm thinking 10 min solo....yes yes. It's got to be beter than a theramin, right.?

do it.
"Gay colored house. Fluff is aroused." - And one

Offline Splice

• Digital Grunt
  • That's gonna leave a mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 06:27:50 PM »
I'm starting a project called Mechanical Faction.

We have a drummer, but not in the conventional sense.  The drums have been reorganized and flipped up (with the bass drum in the middle) and are working on using drum triggers to warp the sound a lot.  In my opinion it looks a lot cooler mainly because it's not something you see everyday, and our breakbeat/tribal sound flows perfectly with the set up.

Offline Jon Meth

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 01:39:40 AM »
I'd be interested to hear...post a link.
JonO

Offline Splice

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 05:51:41 PM »
Well... We're just starting out.  I'm a perfectionist about everything when it comes to music (which pisses off my bandmate A LOT, lol) so everytime we get something started, I usually scrap it.  Right now we are mixing Left Spine Down's Last Daze, and we have mixed Torrent Vaccine's Exude for their contest, but we don't know who won that one yet so I can't show it.  Because of the shitty rules Bit Riot Records put up, technically the entire song is their property and so all we have are like 3 songs right now.  I'm going to take the time to make a Facebook, Myspace, VF, etc, as soon as we get more than a handful of songs going.  This summer we plan on touring the US.  We are also planning to be on the Experiment Haywire Tribute Album doing "Mean Enough Hot Enough".  We haven't worked on that quite yet... all we know is that we're doing it in 8/4 time, lol.  I'll stop now since this is waaaaaay off the thread topic.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 06:04:18 PM by Splice »

Offline Jon Meth

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 11:37:32 PM »
Thread, shmead...this is a forum for music creation man, it's all good. Lemme know when you're up on a site.
JonO

Offline Splice

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 05:27:41 AM »
I definitely will.  As soon as we get a full album going, I'll submit it to DG.

anything