Author Topic: other genres of music  (Read 34294 times)

Offline DeadSeraph

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
    • my VF profile
other genres of music
« on: October 02, 2008, 03:02:08 PM »
Just curious if people here have other genres of music they like other than industrial/ebm,etc?

Myself I enjoy quite allot of music (though industrial is definitely my favorite). I'm a big fan of classical music (grew up on it really), Blues, metal, alternative, classic rock, and even the odd country artist (specifically johnny cash, the highway men, and willy nelson).

some random favorites off the top of my head: TOOL, APC, Katatonia, days of the new, sound garden, STP, Sepultura, Soul Fly, Nail Bomb, Clutch, Hendrix, The Doors, Led Zep, CKY, Fear Factory, Megadeth, White Zombie (and all things Rob Zombie),Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, BB king, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Screaming Tree's, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Vivaldi, just to name a few.

so are you guys all electro elitists or do you enjoy other types of music from time to time? I can't say I listen to much else these days other than electronic music but sometimes I put on a tool album or something totally random to switch it up a bit. so what other kinds of music do YOU like (if any)?
"Gay colored house. Fluff is aroused." - And one

Offline swampfeotus

• Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
    • http://www.swampfeotus.org
Re: other genres of music
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 09:37:40 PM »
I only like what shirow tells me to like.

Offline creepster

• Don't Take It Personally
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
  • mess with the best - die like the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 09:58:48 PM »
im a purely synthetic music person
if it isnt industrial/ebm im listening to trip hop (portishead, massive attack, lamb) or ambient/lounge music (telepopmusik, aromabar) or other sorts of stuff like drum'n'bass, breakbeat, jungle

a list of bands i would enjoy: photek, aphex twin, the art of noise, future sound of london, the orb, µ-ziq, boards of canada, prodigy, the orb, opusIII, megashira, throw that beat in the garbage can (small german band from the mid 90s), ascii.disco, benny benassi, omd, console, nav-katze (japanese), proem, ... and a lot of odd songs from different bands

forgot to add also dead can dance, kraftwerk, jean michel jarre, square pusher and björk!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 07:26:26 AM by creepster »
Theory is when you know everything and nothing works.
Practice is when things work, and no one knows why.
Here we combine theory and practice.
Nothing works and no one knows why.

modified, taken from bash.org

Offline DeadSeraph

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
    • my VF profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 10:03:42 AM »
im a purely synthetic music person
if it isnt industrial/ebm im listening to trip hop (portishead, massive attack, lamb) or ambient/lounge music (telepopmusik, aromabar) or other sorts of stuff like drum'n'bass, breakbeat, jungle

a list of bands i would enjoy: photek, aphex twin, the art of noise, future sound of london, the orb, µ-ziq, boards of canada, prodigy, the orb, opusIII, megashira, throw that beat in the garbage can (small german bands from the mid 90s), ascii.disco, benny benassi, omd, console, nav-katze (japanese), proem, ... and a lot of odd songs from different bands

aphex twin is great :D

I also enjoy boards of canada, massive attack, and portishead as well
"Gay colored house. Fluff is aroused." - And one

Offline reverseinversion

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 03:37:58 PM »
I like most if not all variations of 'Techno' (Even though I hate that term being used for general electronic music). I'm also into 90s grunge/alt. Pearl Jam, STP, Soundgarden, AIC etc. I'm into some Psytrance, Oforia etc. And I used to be into metal like DevilDriver, Scar Symmetry, Dimmu etc. but not so much anymore.
Signature

Offline koggen

• Bandwidth Donator
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Digital Gunfire
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 05:34:30 PM »
Just curious if people here have other genres of music they like other than industrial/ebm,etc?

Sure; I also like e.g. classic electronic music like Depeche Mode etc; U2 plus some other rock and punk bands; I'm also fond of certain heavy metal bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Queensrÿche, Anthrax etc; and classic rock music like Queen, Pink Floyd etc. However, Depeche Mode, early EBM bands like Front 242 and Skinny Puppy and U2 are my all-time favourites.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 05:37:17 PM by koggen »

Offline Berger Stahl

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
    • Digital R'us
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 08:31:31 PM »
well, .... i must admit that besides industrial, i also enjoy old school goth, and i dont meant GOTH ROCK im talking about real (almost ethereal) goth

Ataraxia, Corvus Corax, Die Form, Forma Tadre, Helium Vola, Potentia Animi, Qntal, Rosa Crux... etc 

and the occasional Bauhaus, or Joy Division 

Offline Make Tea Not War

• Cybernetic Grunt
  • Nipples are made 2 be pierced!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 09:50:10 AM »
Eurotrance...
I was struck by lighting
Walkin' down the street
I was hit by something last night in my sleep
It's a dead man's party
Who could ask for more
Everybody's comin', leave your body at the door

Offline xeno

• Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 04:36:07 PM »
industrial is main, but also listening to metal (80ies hair metal too), trance (not goa, more the dutch,anthem stuff that everyone else hate)... there's a couple of styles of music I can't stand: jazz, swedish "dansband", 80% of classical, and last but not least, big band music...

Offline Splice

• Digital Grunt
  • That's gonna leave a mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 12:02:17 AM »
I mainly listen to industrial, apart from that... random songs, like Kung-fu Fighting and Desperado.  I listen to a lot of Pink Floyd on the record player when I'm high, (I know that is soooo stereotypical, but I can't help it), and the misfits.

Offline Pyramid_Head

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 05:44:59 PM »
i like a variety of music as well, i too enjoy some classical music, big fan of Bach and Mozart, im also a big Primus fan, Rammstein, Alice in chains, Soundgarden, pretty much any 90s rock and i enjoy the 80s music too, Men at Work, Depeche mode, among others
A man chooses, a slave obeys

Offline Make Tea Not War

• Cybernetic Grunt
  • Nipples are made 2 be pierced!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 04:01:10 AM »
industrial is main, but also listening to metal (80ies hair metal too), trance (not goa, more the dutch,anthem stuff that everyone else hate)... there's a couple of styles of music I can't stand: jazz, swedish "dansband", 80% of classical, and last but not least, big band music...
Lasse Stefanz ;P
I was struck by lighting
Walkin' down the street
I was hit by something last night in my sleep
It's a dead man's party
Who could ask for more
Everybody's comin', leave your body at the door

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 07:04:41 AM »
I still listen to some metal from when I was a teenager. I also listen to some older electronic stuff (MFTJG era Prodigy) and a very small amount of rock music (A Perfect Circle, etc)
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Jon Meth

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 01:44:18 AM »
Kudo's to you dude, Perfect Circle rock. I'm a fan of alot of music, I just throw up on R&B and alot or rap, and pop makes my blood boil, but wherther we like it or not, pop is in everything these days, I just dont like Shitiny Smears and the like....although I'd really like to do a cheezy pop cover and abort it. I listen to alot of metal and some rock, and probably because of guitar which I'm in love with....well any stringed instrument for that matter. I'm kinda new to EBM and similar stuff, and my early industrial likes stemmed from KMFDM and ministry back in the day...and olde NIN.
JonO

Offline VIRUS9

• Digital Soldier
  • Im now xyphon not VIRUS9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 02:53:33 AM »
Industrial is defo my favourite. If I could only listen to one genre thats what it would be but atm I listen to other genres like Nirvana (on occasion), Marilyn Manson. Could you class Rammstein as true industrial? I kinda do it has has electronic elements and a screaming german thats good enough for me.

anything